Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 30


Occurred March 8, 2009

Today's favor was about inclusion. I received a request asking me to do the seemingly simple task of smiling at every person to cross my path for one day. The person making this request explained in her email, "smiles are contagious and when expressed genuinely, they help to reduce stress and to increase a sense of well-being. In these tough times any hint of promoting a feeling of ease and peace is of utmost importance."

Wanting to maximize my smile efforts, I awoke early at 6:00 am and brushed my teeth with extra care to showcase the best smile possible. I decided to begin the favor at a local coffee shop and with head held-high, displaying both dimples on my cheeks, I smiled warmly at the first person I saw. It happened to be an older man and he looked both surprised and pleased to be the smile's recipient and he smiled back at me. "Good morning," I said as I walked up to the counter to order, smiling the whole time at the clerk in front of me. At first his eyes did not meet mine and he just sort of muttered, "morning...," but then he looked up from the register, greeted by my smile and his whole demeanor shifted. He stood more erect, and his mood seemed to elevate slightly as he smiled back at me, "How may I help you?" You already have I thought, but instead remarked, "I would love a mocha please." After paying for my drink, I observed the scene before me as it unfolded.

The next two customers ordering drinks received smiles from the clerk and each one in-turn responded back with smiles. Within less than ten minutes, the entire mood of the coffee shop felt lighter and I sat in awe at the power of one conscious act of kindness. I continued to smile at each person I met for the remainder of the day, going to a bank, a beauty salon, a grocery store and lastly a movie theater. Each location yielded the same result: wonderfully contagious smiles. What an incredible day!

No comments:

Post a Comment