Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 31


Occurred March 9, 2009

Today's favor was about surprise. I received a request asking me to put money into a stranger's parking meter. I instantly related to this request since recently I had a friend receive a parking ticket due to staying too long at a restaurant. Note: by "too long" I mean five extra minutes beyond the meter.

I awoke eager to fulfill this request until receiving an email from a follower of this blog who had seen the favor listed on the home page. He informed me such an act was illegal and suggested I try something else. "How about paying for someone's valet parking instead?"

Not to be deterred, I agreed and set out to put some of the dollars received by private donation, to help fund the 32 Favors Project, to good use. I selected two valet lots and gave myself a budget of $25 for the day. I went up to the valet attendants and asked which car's owner would most benefit from receiving free parking. At each spot, answers freely came to me and I ended up being able to pay for three different strangers parking. I asked the attendants not to mention me, just to say, someone had done them a favor and hoped it made them smile. "Please tell me what happened after you told them about the free parking so I can include it on my blog. Here is my cell, please text me when they leave." Each valet lot agreed to help me out and I in-turn tipped them nicely for their assistance. Here are the accounts of the three different favor recipients:

1. Woman looked shocked at first then very happy, even hugged attendant before leaving
2. Man and woman kept looking for "hidden" camera and finally accepted idea and asked if they could help pay someone else's valet fee
3. Man called friend on phone and shared his story of good fortune, saying he felt like he could get through his tough day now

The theme echoing through each recipient's experience was a feeling of not being worthy to receive such a simple kindness and thinking there must be some sort of "catch" at first and then later accepting and adjusting to the notion that kindness is possible without expectation of reciprocation. Tomorrow, concludes the project...I wonder what the day will hold. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment