Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 13


Today's favor is about surprise. I received a request to take someone out for a lunch who did not expect it. As I considered the favor and who to give it to, I also considered what a surprise really meant. A surprise means something unexpected. It's funny how our interpretation deems anything unexpected as either positive or negative and how that two people may view the same occurrence completely opposite from one another. I chose my favor recipient to be an individual who I knew would see the opportunity for an impromtu lunch as a good thing rather than a distraction from a day already planned.

During my hair appointment I discussed the 32 Favors project with my stylist and mentioned receiving the request to take someone out to lunch as a surprise. Her response: "Wow! What a great idea. Who is the lucky person?" Observing her excitement and positive attitude about the overall concept, I paused, smiled broadly and said, "You!" Stunned, she replied, "Really? Why?" As has now become customary in the process of favor granting, my answer was a simple, "Why not?" Elated she said she needed to check her schedule but would love to come with me. We enjoyed a simple and delicious lunch and when we finished, my stylist hugged me, saying "Thank you so much! I'm going to read all about your blog and forward it to my friends." It seemed as though she wanted to say more, but sensing it would be just as effective unspoken and communicated via a warm smile, I departed quickly and told her to have a great day and to let me know if she would like me to do a favor for someone else on her behalf. A small favor with huge results. Another day, another shift in energy and perception!

No comments:

Post a Comment