Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 17


Today's favor focused on the concept of wonder. I received a request asking me to give a sundae to a child. While this seems simple enough and very sweet in its intent, the actual execution of such a favor is difficult. Unfortunately we live in times of child abductions, tainted Halloween candy and other atrocities. While my intentions are 100% pure, I thought it may appear odd or dangerous from the perspective of a parent if I randomly offered to buy a child a sundae.

Taking some license with the request, I instead chose to treat someone I knew already and his "inner child" to a grown-up version of a sundae: gelato. There is a great spot for gelato in Los Feliz, which was ideal since I was still feeling a tad under the weather and did not wish to travel far from home.

I met my friend outside the shop tonight and told him to pick out any three flavors with the only requirement being he had to eat every bite. What happened next amazed me...As soon as we opened the door, it was though we turned back the clock. His eyes seemed to dance with wonder and curiosity across the shiny metal containers filled to the rim of brightly-colored flavors of gelato. After sampling at least a handful of flavors, he chose dutch cocoa, cookies 'n cream and vanilla bean. Happily he took the plastic cup containing his delectable scoops of gelato from the clerk. My friend took his first bite and then told me how he had not had gelato since his Italian grandma visited nearly fifteen years ago right before her death. He shared how all of his grandma's aches and pains would melt away at the first taste of the yummy dessert. Saying this his eyes misted briefly and then he said, "Thank you, Nanci. I had no idea how much I associated the love for my grandma with the taste of gelato. I feel closer to her than I have in years after taking just one bite." I smiled and told him, "The original favor was to give a sundae to a child. I never expected to give one to your child-within."

Once again as had now become habit, I saw it is sometimes the simplest of favors which have the greatest impact and effect. Who would have guessed my friend would enjoy the memory of what gelato represented after just a single bite? Reminding him of moments of joy from his past allowed him to access the child-like wonder and unencumbered love he once demonstrated as a young boy without any premeditation. What a wonder-filled world!

No comments:

Post a Comment