Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 7



It's hard to believe it has only been one week since beginning my commitment to 32 Favors in 32 days...I have met more people, had more personal insights, and felt more energy in the past seven days than I have during the past year. Today's favor was about service. I received a request from the owner of a floral shop in Sherman Oaks asking for help with her Valentine's orders. The economic downfall impacted her business greatly. In our emails I told her I was available to help her in any way that was helpful.

After a full morning of teaching Pilates, I drove over to the flower shop. The skies darkened and the rain fell hard. Rain in general is an anomaly in LA, heavy rain even more so. It seemed fitting in some respect since it was Friday the 13th, but also odd since less than a week ago it was over 80 degrees and sunny! I assumed I would be spending my day inside the shop, helping to arrange flowers or interfacing with last-minute Valentine's shoppers. However, upon arrival I saw that the owner, while genuinely happy to see me, also had not had time to really think of how to use me. Chaotic frenzy filled the store and I decided to just be still and wait until she had a moment to gather her thoughts rather than to press for what I should do. One of her assistants saw me waiting and asked what I was there for; I answered, "I am here to help." Puzzled, she then questioned, "Why?" My only answer: "Why not."

When the owner finally had a moment of calm she asked if I had a car and if I could help with delivery. I nodded and after pulling up to the curb loaded the arrangements carefully into my Prius. I delivered each bouquet with the assistance of my GPS, getting more and more soaked by the falling rain. I returned to the shop and said the deliveries were complete. The scene inside was even more chaotic than earlier in the day and stress and tension filled the air. I saw the owner's assistant again and she assumed I was done for the day. Shaking my head, I said no, "I am here to help." Loading the Prius again with orders I drove through even heavier and more intense rain. The second to last delivery brought me to a law firm. After placing the gorgeous arrangement on the desk and looking like a drowned rat, I assumed the receptionist would want me to exit right away. However, she took an extra moment and smiled at me saying, "Thank you so much for coming out in this weather; I really appreciate it. Is there anything I can do for you?" I said I was delivering flowers for free today as a favor and so if she could validate my parking, I would be most grateful. She said it was against company policy but that she would do it as a favor to me. It was an amazingly brief exchange in linear time and yet a massive one in terms of positive energy and goodwill. I took the "validation" which I literally thought must be a sign I was on the right path regarding the commitment I have to 32 Favors and braved the rain again. Her small act of kindness motivated me to continue this project, without investment in the outcome; simply asking how I may be of service each day.

I returned to the flower shop and took some photos of the dedicated team of workers. They offered me flowers as a thank you for helping and I said I would return the following day, Valentine's, to take the flowers to a friend who had a rough year. Whew! What a day...I may have been cold and wet from the rain but I was warm and light inside all from a day which showed me kindness comes from the most unexpected sources and when we least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment