Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day 16



It is hard to believe the 32 Favors project is 50% done. It seems like yesterday that I awoke from the dream about running high hurdles with a sense of purpose and determination to reach out to others and to hopefully discover my own "balanced place" in the process. One such amazing effect of this project is the many new friendships and fellowships I now have with like-minded people. One new friend, Erin Pearson was so inspired by the 32 Favors idea she offered to write a theme song for me. I included the link to her myspace music page on the side column of the blog where you can hear a rough cut of it. Thank you Erin! You are beyond talented.

It might be said that I chose to take the road less traveled. However, taking the less traveled approach may be anything but a smooth ride...

I received a favor request to assist with Team in Training's Santa Monica group. I was supposed to arrive at the practice session and help hand out water and snacks to the runners. I woke up at 6 AM on the dot. I left my apartment at 7:15, planning to arrive at the meeting point no later than 8 AM. Living in Hollywood has its perks and also its hassles. One such hassle from a traffic perspective is the Academy Awards. There were numerous road closures, detours, etc and so I opted for the freeway. Within a short period of time, I realized this was a poor choice. For some reason the freeway had several lanes closed and my only option was to exit and try side streets if I had any hope of arriving in time for the practice session.

After a multitude of twists and turns I found myself at the right location, but did not see the large gathering I expected. Rather I saw a few people setting up tables and one petite woman with a clipboard. I introduced myself, "Hi, I'm Nanci from 32 Favors. Where do I go to help?" The woman smiled warmly and said I would need to drive about three miles away since the hospitality team already left. I drove to the new location and parked. After scouring the intersection and surrounding businesses and streets, I could not find the rest-stop. I called the organizer and she said for me to just come back to the original spot and that I could help with the bone marrow donor registration. For one moment, I felt weariness set in and I hesitated and then decided to say, "OK, just tell me what will be most helpful." Once back at the original location, the organizer introduced me to the registration team who quickly explained the registration process and pointed to stacks of forms, envelopes, pens and stickers. I digested the information quickly and told myself to focus on the task at hand. Within moments, our table overflowed with interested donors and I reminded myself to try and stay calm even in the chaos of thrusting forms, numerous questions and needing to repeat the same set of instructions to each person. Shortly, I developed a flow and an ease with the process and time flew quickly.

When it was over, we registered a little over 100 people. Everyone involved in Team in Training appeared grateful for my willingness to lend a hand and I felt immensely satisfied with the end result to an other-wise chaotic morning. Their commitment to helping those with cancer is commendable and I strongly support their mission and efforts. They donate 75% of all money raised by team members to cancer charities. The magnitude of people potentially helped by all of our efforts today may potentially far exceed our initial investment. I left the day physically exhausted and yet totally exhilarated in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment